On Monday, Bombay High Court in a relief for actor Salman Khan has stayed proceedings against the actor in a magistrate's court on a private complaint seeking action against him for posting the details of court orders against him on his website.
According to media reports, Salman Khan’s lawyer Ravi Kadam pleaded that the 2002 hit-and-run case involving the actor had been committed to sessions court and hence the magistrate had no jurisdiction to issue notice to him on the contempt complaint filed against him by activist Hemant Patil.
Justice M L Tahilyani stayed the notice as well as proceedings against Salman until further orders. The judge also allowed Patil three weeks' time to file a reply to Salman's petition which prayed for quashing the proceedings in a magistrate's court in suburban Bandra.
Activist Hemant Patil has filed a complaint against actor Salman Khan on July 1oth alleging that actor Salman Khan has committed contempt of court by posting court proceedings on his website about the cases he was embroiled in including the 2002 hit-and-run case as the matters were subjudice.
But Salman Khan has pleaded that that he had created a website only to ensure that there was no incorrect reporting by the media and that the website gave factual information about his cases and nothing beyond that. He further said that no contempt had been committed by him.
The actor pleaded that the complaint and the summons issued to him by the court to appear before it may be quashed and set aside. He said the magistrate had not applied his mind on the complaint filed.